TAKE TIME – FOR MENTAL HEALTH THROUGHOUT THE YEAR!
This year's theme is Take time — for mental health
Take time is about taking a moment to do some of the simple things anyone can do to boost their mental wellbeing.
Take time is also about breaking down the stigma associated with mental illness and reaching out to people in our communities who need support.
Let us take time for mental health together — at home, at school, at work, and at play.
Why get involved?
Mental health is important to every single one of us, yet it is a part of life we often overlook. Busy lives get in the way of us caring for our mental health, as does a fear of feeling vulnerable if we share our mental health challenges.
Queensland Mental Health Week is an opportunity to bring communities together, reach out to those who need support, and shine a spotlight on the things we can all do to support mental health.
This year's theme, Take Time for Mental Health encourages people to take time for their mental health with steps simple actions that have been proven to improve wellbeing.
- Get healthy – it is good for your mind as well as your body
- Keep learning – learning new things will make you more confident as well as being fun
- Show kindness – Practicing small acts of kindness, giving back or showing gratitude can help you feel more satisfied with life
- Connect more – spending time with other people is important to everyone's mental wellbeing
- Take notice – stay in the moment and remember the simple things that give you joy
- Embrace nature – step outside, connect with the natural world and nature, care of the planet.
Here are a few suggestions from the Queensland Government's Dear Mind campaign:
- Do some colouring. Google 'mindful colouring' to find free printable colouring sheets. You are never too old to enjoy colouring!
- Give yoga a go. Yoga focuses on strength, flexibility and breathing to boost your physical and mental wellbeing. Find a free online video and try it for yourself.
- Disconnect from technology. Make time each day to disconnect from technology and observe the simple beauty of the world around you.