The Runcorn Heights State School Council has been active since 2017. The school council plays a vital role in monitoring and informing the school's strategic direction in a way that achieves the best learning outcomes for the school's students.
The functions of a school council under s.81 of the Education (General Provisions) Act 2006 (QLD) (the Act) are to:
- monitor the school's strategic direction;
- approve school plans and policies of a strategic nature, or other documents affecting strategic matters including the annual estimate of revenue and expenditure for the school;
- monitor the implementation of plans, policies and other documents mentioned above; and
- advise the school's principal about strategic matters.
As per the Constitution, a School Council is required to have equal numbers of staff and parent members. The number of staff members elected to the council must have an equal number of teaching and non-teaching staff.
In 2020, the Parents and Citizens' Association are following their constitution to elect a new parent representative.
Details about the role of School Council member are attached for your consideration.
To be eligible for election as an elected parent a person must:
- not be the principal of the school or the Parents and Citizen's association (P&C) president;
- have not been convicted of an indictable offence, unless the Minister gives approval under the Act (s.93);
- be the parent of a student attending the school (for elected parent member);
- submit a completed nomination prior to the meeting called for the purpose of electing parent members, including signed nomination on the form from 2 P&C Association members; and
- attend a meeting called for the purpose of electing parent members.
If you wish to nominate for the position as a parent representative, please complete the attached nomination form and include a paragraph as to why you may be suited to the position if you would like to provide further information.
The School Council is asking for parent nominations to be submitted by 18 August 2021.
Voting will occur at the P&C meeting on 18 August 2021.
The election results of both the parent and staff representative will be advertised as soon as possible after the close of voting.
Timelines for the election process are as follows:
Nominations forms due: TBC: 18 August 2021
Voting: 18 August 2021
Supporting Information for
Parent Nomination (PDF, 350kb)
Parent Nomination Form (PDF, 583kb)
School Council Information Letter (PDF, 489kb)